April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, a time to focus on the health and safety of Georgia’s children. Prevent Child Abuse Appling, will join Prevent Child abuse America in April to raise public awareness of the need for prevention and the critical need to break the cycle of child abuse. Child abuse has far-reaching effects on our community. The overwhelming majority of incarcerated criminals report a personal history of child abuse. By eliminating child abuse, we can ensure a safer today and a brighter tomorrow for our children. Children are a valuable resource and we want to see prevention a priority for everyone in Georgia.
A single pinwheel can spin many times in seven minutes. Seven minutes is the length of time that passes before another child in Georgia is abused or neglected. These are only the reported cases. Each pinwheel at the local display represents an individual case in Appling County; there are 31 total! Keep in mind a case may have several children involved. Children cannot prevent child abuse but you can.
Prevent Child Abuse Appling would like to invite our community to be involved in its efforts to prevent child abuse in Appling County. The group will have the following activities for April:
- The community is encouraged to wear blue on April 21
- Students in all public and private schools will receive pencils that state, “There’s no excuse for child abuse”
- A pinwheel display, which represents 31 individual cases of child abuse in our county, will be displayed along Highway 341 West
- April 21 at 10:30 a.m. bells will ring, sirens will sound to make everyone more aware that child abuse is right here in our own community
- Signs stating Child Abuse Prevention month will be displayed throughout the county during the month
Prevent Child Abuse Appling invite community members to wear blue and join us at our display beside FNB South at 10:30 a.m. on April 21 for the Pinwheels for Prevention Ceremony.
For more information on preventing child abuse and neglect or any of the activities this month please contact Amy Rediger Director of Prevent Child Abuse Appling at
912-367-8816. If you need to report suspected cases of abuse please call our local Department of Families and Children’s Services at 912-366-1010. If you need more information about child abuse and neglect issues call Georgia’s statewide helpline at 1-800-CHILDREN.