Halloween Trick or Treat will be Monday, October 31, 2011 from 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. according to Chief Godfrey of the Baxley Police Department and Karen Glenn of the Baxley-Appling County Chamber of Commerce. Remember to carry a flash light and don’t eat treats until you show them to your parents or a trusted adult.
The Baxley Police Department and the Baxley-Appling County Chamber of Commerce want you to have a fun and safe Halloween. Here are some more safety tips:
* Adults should carve the pumpkin, let the kids draw the face for the adult to carve.
* No child should go trick-or-treating alone. Younger children should be with an adult while older children can go in groups.
* Trick-or-treat early in the evening, not later in the evening when things tend to get more hectic.
* Remind children to walk on sidewalks and be cautious when crossing streets.
* Only trick-or-treat in your neighborhood and have an early curfew.
* Only trick-or-treat at houses where you know the person inside and only if the lights are on.
* Do not enter the home of anyone.
* Be cautious of all animals, even the friendly neighborhood dog can bite when he doesn’t recognize you in costume.
* Check labels to see that all costumes and accessories are flame-resistant.
* Put strips of reflective tape on the front and back of costumes to make them more visible to drivers.
* Make sure all facepaints, glues, and glitters are nontoxic.
* Don’t allow children to carry sharp objects, such as swords and knives.
* If wearing a mask, make sure it fits securely and has eyeholes large enough so that the child can see. (If possible do not wear a mask.)
* Feed the kids before they go so they will be less likely to eat the treats before they get home, warn them not to eat anything before you inspect it.
* Throw away any homemade treats or any treats with torn or unsealed wrapping.